EWU V UNC
FILM BREAKDOWN OF BUCKLEY & HARDEN:
- EWU has the 2nd ranked FG% defense(38%) in the league as well as the 2nd best defensive PPP(.782) in the league. If EWU and all of that talented youth want to advance in the tourney their defense must travel. Containing Simental from the perimeter and Harden down low on the block will be their biggest concerns. Will Knowles be asked to defend 1 v 1 against Harden? That is a tall task. Look for doubles when Harden gets the ball down low. Just can't double off of Simental
- Buckley and Martin will need to be contained and made to work for everything. UNC has played a 2-3 zone a majority of the year. How are the Bears going to limit those two? How will Coach Gleason decide to attack the zone to get Martin and Buckley going offensively?
- OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS & FTs We believe this game will be a close one. The first two matchups were close and we feel in a close game, it comes down to who is getting extra offensive possessions and getting to the FT line and converting. Even with Harden anchoring the backline of the zone for UNC that zone will have holes for players such as Buckley, Knowles, Martin, and Lawrence to get into for offensive rebounds.
SAC ST V. WEBER
FILM BREAKDOWN OF TILLMAN, MENKE, PENEUETA, WEBER BASE OFFENSE & WEBER ZONE OFFENSE
WEBER BASE OFFENSENSE: https://youtu.be/vvuO8d3zGYk
WEBER STATE ZONE OFFENSE: https://youtu.be/tFP7j02hiO8
- Natabou v. Torbert: in both games, Natabou was hampered with foul trouble. This allowed Torbert to play against the second line of post players for Sac State. Torbert showed her vast offensive skills in both games and shot 6-11 from 3FG. If Natabou stays out of fould trouble this could be a very entertaining matchup of two of the conference most physically imposing players. The Hornets cannot allow Weber to get easy looks from behind the arch as they are one of the worst teams in the BSC at 3FG% (29.4%).
- Tillman v. Hickok: in both matchups this year Weber State has started Hickok on Tillman. Hickok is definitely Wildcats best perimeter defender and if she can stay out of foul trouble this will make Tillman's job a lot more difficult all game long. Tillman will get up her shots and score points But will Hickok make all of those attempts as hard as possible and that is the trick.
- Pace: we think of this game sort of like a football game. Time of possession will be important. Sac State likes to keep the ball in Tillman's hands so she will be in charge of just how fast and or slow the Hornets play. Weber loves to grind it out on offensive possessions with their offense. The team that limits TO’s and controls the pace to their liking will give themselves a huge advantage.
- BONUS KEY POINT: Peneueta & Penzter are both key players for each team. When both of these players produce offensively for their respective teams they sure give themselves a lot better chance of victory.
IDAHO v PSU
FILM BREAKDOWN OF: BEA & FORSYTH SCORING SETS
WAYS TO ATTACK PSU ZONE: https://youtu.be/DxkW1Zpe1mI
- Will the PSU zone be able to defend the 3FG that Idaho will shoot. In 2 games the Vandals shot 42 3FG only making 12 but are those shots gong to be contested or wide open looks. PSU cannot allow players like Johnson, Forsyth, and Gandy to get hot from outside.
- Who is going to score for the Vikings: Morales and Fitzgerald are the likely contributors but Dhaliwal and Lewis can also score points. The Vikings will need help from all 4 if they hope to get their first W of the conference.
- PSU is playing with nothing to lose and everything to gain in the BSC tourney. They have not won a single BSC regular-season game(close on a number of occasions). Idaho will have to avoid the emotions of playing a team like PSU. Play tight and they could find themselves going home early. Overlook the Vikings and that too could send them home early.